Friday, July 10, 2009

Coastal Scent Brushes Review

My dear boyfriend bought me these brushes (thank you baby! i heart u) from coastal scents along with 4 samples of exotic skin foundation. Take a look at the packaging, isn't it pretty?










:D


Coastal Scents also gave me a sample of eyeshadow in Sandy Is. Here are the brushes that I got:

- Black Sable Shadow Brush

- Chisel Mini Detail Brush

- Italian Badger Round Crease Brush

- Pink Kolinsky Lip Brush

- Tapered Crease Eye Brush

- Also, I got the Exotic Skin Foundation Samples (1-4)


FIRST BRUSH : Black Sable Shadow Brush





My thoughts: This brush reminds me of the E.L.F. eyeshadow brush, only that the ELF brush is a tad smaller than this. First time I washed it, it barely shed any hair. The hair is soft, however, when I started using it on my eyes, I feel like this brush is poking my eyelids and it hurts! I never had a problem like this with my E.L.F brush. It does the job tho when it comes to packing colors on your lids, tho I just can't stand the "poking" sensation.

Rating: 2 out of 5 :(


SECOND BRUSH: Chisel Mini Detail Brush





My Thoughts: I honestly don't know why I chose this brush. I never thought this brush would be that small! It's only 4.5 inch in length! As the name implies, its a detail brush. I've used this brush to apply highlights near my inner eye canthus as well as used this as an eyeliner brush (use it wet for better effect :D) It didnt shed any hair at all. A tiny brush that has multi-purpose... you can't beat that for 1.99 bucks.

Rating: 4 out of 5 :)



THIRD BRUSH: Italian Badger Round Crease Brush





My Thoughts: This is my number 1 must-have when I was looking for what brush I would like to own from Coastal Scents. I only have one crease brush before this and it was the round crease from NYX (not the professional one, just the ordinary one... it was blaah! ) I was excited to use this and boy, this exceeded my expectations. It didnt shed much (maybe like 1 or 2 hair). The bristles have that right density and firmness, giving you more control and better outcome especially when doing a smoky effect. I love the size of the tip just perfect for me. The overall appearance is professional looking, making it look like I spend a good chunk of money on this one. But then of course, I didnt. For $2.89, that is a WOW.

Rating: 5 out of 5 :)))))))


FOURTH BRUSH: Pink Kolinsky Lip Brush








My thoughts: This one is more like an impulse buy, kinda like "OK.. i got 4 brushes, u might just want to even it out making it 5" LOL. But hey, I don't have any lip brushes so this is a good start.My favorite feature of this brush is that it comes with a silver cover, thus making this brush very good for traveling. The bristles are firm which makes application great. Another thing, I've heard this product can be use as a concealer too! Good stuff.

Rating: 4 out of 5 :)


FIFTH BRUSH: Tapered Crease Eye Brush







My thoughts: First time I washed this brush it BLEED so much. It took me awhile to get rid of the dye and it did shed couple of bristles. This made me feel like "uh-oh...not looking good so far". Then I used it and this reminded me of my NYX round crease brush. I was kinda disappointed. I'm kinda expecting it to be a little firm at least to define my crease but I guess this just work for blending. This brush is suppose to be MAC 226 comparable; I haven't use the MAC one so I can't say much. This brush can be use for blending, but not defining the crease.

Rating: 3 out of 5 :/


Exotic Skin Foundation Samples






My thoughts: I wanted to try there mineral foundation because it's been awhile since I had mineral foundation and its pretty much a must-have for me especially this summer when I tend to oil very much. All I can say is.... I'm glad I bought the samples size. I almost bought (well not me... but my boyfriend of course. just letting him know what i want. and thank you babe for being patient with me ) the full size cuz I want it badly. The Exotic Skin foundation, according to Coastal Scents, "is specially formulated for Asian, Latin and African American women". Obviously I'm asian so I thought, "well, a product that is specially made for my ethnicity.. sounds nice." I am disappointed. I'm a MAC NC40-42ish skin color and the number 4, which is suppose to be the darkest of all the exotic foundation line shade, is still way too light for me! On the brighter side of things, the texture is creamy but light... something I would say I'd use everyday if only the color was right! But yeah...grrr.... a disappointment. This is why sometimes I'm very hesitant to buy stuff online. But for 4.99 for 4 samples, I guess not bad.


**If you want to swap for this product, check me out on makeupalley.com and look for Jbreezy :)**



Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase. I mean a brush that range from 1-3 dollars you can't complain much, right? Coastal Scent brushes are the great way to start when it comes to trying out brushes and other products. The quality is very good, it's not like something dirt cheap quality, its very doable. So if you are just starting with make-up and brushes, head on to Coastalscents.com and check out there great items!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks Bellas for stopping by!!! I'll get back at you as soon as I can. xoxo